Wednesday, June 16, 2010

viva con acgua

Feeling all better, waiting for Julius to come get me to drive me out to Kaputei. I'm a little bummed considering that I had planned on leaving nearly five days ago but my allergic is completely gone. I've had a few really fun days at the Wildebeest "decompressing" from the village. I met a group of German guys, two of whom play professional football for the German St. Pauli team. One of the guys, Benny Adrion, started an organization called Viva Con Acqua, http://www.vivaconagua.com/, in conjunction with his team. The organization works to bring clean water to remote communities all over sub-Saharan Africa. The group is traveling around, visiting projects while also documenting the East African response to the first African world cup. Two of them are professional photographers and have taken some amazing pictures. (http://www.geo.de/blog/geo/fotoblog-wm-2010/aethiopien/addis-abeba-meskal-square-street-football?LTblog=963e50e201c02c742060b0a7c7225dea) That's a link to their blog... At each place they travel through they try to find a youth team to place against- I went with them yesterday and watched them get crushed by a youth team which plays right outside of Kibera. I've met some amazing people just in these four days of downtime and it's unbelievably cool to hear everyone's personal ties to Kenya, while watching three games of the World Cup at the same time. I'll be back here after a week in Kaputei! 

No comments:

Post a Comment