June 4th, 2010
Two days in Africa, already been in two countries... it's been a long trip down to Arusha to say the least. It's 7:50 PM here now and I'm absolutely exhausted. I remember feeling a similar way as if I had literally hit a wall in my first days in Uganda. I must admit this upcoming week is going to be much more of a challenge than I had anticipated.
When we arrived at the hotel- Arusha Backpackers Hotel yesterday we threw down our stuff and went up to the rooftop restaurant for some food while Lahale (a Masaai friend of Ben Thomas's friend who has invited us to stay in his village) filled us in on some details about what we should expect. "Maddie I've got to tell you now so you aren't surprised when you see it with your eyes tomorrow" In the states I had a hard time picturing what the Masaai life is truly like but I feel like I'm starting to get a better idea. Lahale's tribe is a polygamous tribe with the women and children living separately in their own mud hut. At this point I think I am going to set up a tent and sleep in a sleeping bag, as to not intrude on the women who do not speak a word of English but I'm very open to changing my mind.
After spending the day with Charles and some with Lahale I've noticed some big differences between our lifestyles. In the states many of our days are shaped around meal times whereas here it is not that way. But 4pm I felt very hungry and lightheaded- I felt a similar sensation last time I took Malarone. I'm hoping that I can quickly adjust to the local eating and sleeping schedules. I'm drinking water excessively to rehydrate my body before we take off for the plains. I've been told it's been it's going to be very hot on the plains during the day with temperatures dropping severely at night.
Lahale went on to explain their tradition of becoming a Masaai warrior. The boys "coming of age" ceremony consists of a lion hunt and only after a lion is succesfully killed are the boys considered men. Lahale told us that his lion hunt consisted of 8 other village boys and they succesfully hunted 3 lions- the village was very proud. All the boys and men carry sticks that resemble walking sticks which serve to herd the cattle and goats- without livestock the Masaai couldn't subside, Lahale told us. It is apparent that Lahale and the villagers place low imporatance on age in numerical values- as we spoke he did not seem to recall any ages or years- instead he frequently referred to things by year... back in 2002, etc. Lahale told me that we will wake up and watch the sunrise over the plains and if we're lucky see some giraffes and elephants migrating between the two parks that border his village...
Lahale has started a school project in his village which will provide a school for children that is much closer than the government provided school. Charles, who is a web designer, created the website for Lahale and is currently working on getting it up and running. Ben, my friend from Nairobi conference and member of MFI Connect team, and his friends donated a lot of supplies including a large chalkboard used in the classroom. The children are sit on rocks in a mud hut and there are about 40 children "enrolled." Lahale's vision includes creating a volunteer component where people such as myself come and volunteer while experiencing the Masaai way of life. I was told yesterday that I am offically the first volunteer to stay in the village!
It's amazing to me how much time and thought I have put into formulating my itinerary for this trip in the past few months; however every experience I have had thus far has been so different than I could have imagined.
No comments:
Post a Comment